Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Hawaiʻi, The Big Island

I've always wanted to go to Hawaiʻi. It seemed like some fairy tale destination far far away that I would never see. With its lush raw jungles, inviting beaches and island style it seemed to be calling me my whole life. This December, accompanied by Charlotte I finally got on a plane destined for the Big Island. When you only know a place by postcards and travel brochures theres always the danger of disappointment when you step off the plane, but in a way when I arrived in Hawaiʻi it almost felt like a homecoming. It reminded me of my homeland, Kwa-Zulu Natal in South Africa, it was like the two pieces of earth were distant cousins, I felt like I was in the the right place.

I explored and photographed the island with as much ferver as I could, driven by an emotional connection and sense of discovery. I drew on my memories of old travel commercials and what I wished the place would be and blended it with what I feel it was.















The End.

No comments: